Friday 27 September 2013

A collection in the making.

 25,000 holes were hand-punched in creating the Autumn/Winter collection. I couldn't quite believe what the calculator was saying - but it must be true! It doesn't cross my mind to count things on a scale like that usually; it was only because a stockist asked that I actually began calculating. Although I know what goes in to each particular shoe - which is scrutinised down to the smallest detail, stepping back and seeing the bigger picture after some months is something of a surprise with hindsight as a lens. 



Pink nails match the burgundy Caribou and Ulu. Am I in charge of forming the collection or is it informing me? 



Pattern packs begin to materialise as each shoe size and the paper patterns belonging to it require a safe  home. For the larger boot patterns I modify 2 brown envelopes to create one gigantic one, and ponder the significance of illustrating each folder and colouring in the letters in a particular way. Do I have time to spend on this extra luxury? I do it anyway and relish the time spent inking the text.


Some of those 25,000 holes punched. The hammer I picked up at the local car-boot sale is feeling the burn, but the key tool here is the sturdiest hole punch on the planet donated to the cause from a shoe maker friend and mentor in London. Thanks Ash!


 A proud row of fringing. It seems a shame to stitch it down. 







Criss cross on the heels of the Fargo gives the finishing touch. A symbol of completion.   


The Fargo being stitched up over the toes and left on the last overnight to take shape.  

  

The shoes start to come together, one pair at a time. They patiently wait for their soles to arrive so they can be united, and be taken out in to the big wide world on a new adventure.